A quick guide to Land Ownership Certificates

Updated: Sep 2, 2021

When you or your planning agent/architect makes a planning application, an ownership certificate must be completed stating the current ownership of the land to which the application relates [ under Article 14 of The Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015. ]

Did you know you can make a planning application on a site/land/plot that you do not own, as long as the land owner is notified?

It is important when completing a planning application that you do so correctly, as it is an offence, knowingly or recklessly, to complete a false or misleading certificate. If you need any assistance with your planning application, we can act as Agent on your behalf, giving you reassurance that this important application is in safe hands.

You will first need to identify whether you are the owner or not to ensure that the correct certificate is completed.
  • 'Owner' means a person with a freehold interest, or leasehold interest with at least 7 years left to run.

  • 'Agricultural tenant' has the meaning given in Section 65(8) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended).

  • 'Agricultural holding' has the meaning given by reference to the definition of 'agricultural tenant' above.

There are 4 types of certificate: A, B, C and D.

In summary:

  • Certificate A - Sole Ownership and no agricultural tenants

  • Certificate B - Shared Ownership and/or agricultural holding (All other owners/agricultural tenants known)

  • Certificate C - Shared Ownership (Some other owners / agricultural tenants known

  • Certificate D - Shared Ownership (All other owners / agricultural tenants unknown

Now looking at each certificate in greater detail:

Certificate A:

Certificate A should only be completed if the applicant is the sole owner of the land to which the application relates and there are no agricultural tenants.

If the application involves a leasehold flat then certificate A does not apply as the applicant is not the sole owner. Similarly, Certificate A does not apply if there are agricultural tenants of the land to which the application relates. Therefore, in these circumstances, the applicant should complete certificate B, C or D.